Wednesday 26 January 2011

Experimenting with Title Fonts

In Final Cut I made a few dummy sequences just for the film's title itself.














I added the sound effect of a camera shutter to synchronise with each letter coming up to reinforce the idea that 'Capture' did not just mean to capture the physical bodies of the victims but to capture their images with a camera.  I got the sound effect from Garageband and imported the file into Final Cut.  I don't think the sound is completely realistic so need to find another one or record my own. I imported a number of different fonts from Dafont,
 
as I did not think any of the fonts already installed on Final Cut fitted the image I had in mind.


Originally I was going to have a font based on retro writing from the art-deco era or from the 40's which was inspired by the film 'The Third Man', as it was set in the late 40's.









I decided that this was too girly and that it would not fit the genre of the film, so I went for a more chunky masculine look, which looked better but it would have gone better with a violent thriller.







I finally decided on an uneven typewriter font which seemed to go better with the camera theme of the narrative and signified the realism of the approach I intended






I looked at other typrewriter fonts, like Courier, but thought their lines were too clean and precise.  I thought that the look of this typewriter font was best, as it has splodges and looks untidy which gives the viewers a sense of unease.

No comments:

Post a Comment