Thursday 3 February 2011

Creating my soundtrack

The inspiration for my soundtrack for 'Capture' came from the soundtrack for Se7en which is a remix of a Nine Inch Nails track, 'Closer'.

It uses sound effects which are partially synthesized to create an unnatural soundworld which unsettles the audience. The track for my film opening was created in Garageband using loops and sound effects, some of which were then treated with reverb and echo. It has a disturbing effect as none of the sounds can quite be identified. Towards the end of the track a more obviously musical theme comes in.



Sounds included a bicycle, packing boxes, cave water drops, radio tuning, bowling strikes, doors opening and closing, as well as synthesized strings to add tension. In the final edit, the diegetic sounds will be left to run simultaneously and these will be mixed with the camera shutter sounds downloaded from a sound effects website. I researched dozens of these until I found the one which created exactly the right sound.




These were the tracks I eventually downloaded and imported into iTunes. I decided I will use track 2 below in the final sound edit.






No comments:

Post a Comment